February 18, 2018
Blessings Keep Us Afloat
Deuteronomy 28:2; Psalm 21:6; Galatians 5:13
Today the Freedom Kids participated in a simple, yet simply super, service project that allowed kids to know of a quick and easy way to share about God to those around them who might need a little encouragement.
I began today’s lesson by asking kids to describe what a survival kit is and what value it has. Many described first aid kids and that worked too! Several things like, “It helps in an emergency,” or “It can save your life,” and “A survival kit helps you when you are in trouble,” were said in the group.
Then I asked:
- In what ways is God like a survival kit?
- How can Jesus’ love help us in ways similar to a survival kit?
- How can we share Jesus’ love to help others during times when they are feeling discouraged?
We talked about how sometimes when we feel sad or discouraged a reminder of God’s love is like a heavenly survival kit. It helps us to remember the blessings we have in our lives and to praise God when he sends us help when we are going through troubling times. We read some scriptures to help us understand God’s promises:
All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God – Deuteronomy 28:2
Surely you have granted him unending blessings
and made him glad with the joy of your presence. – Psalm 21:6
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. – Galatians 5:13
Next, we made a cool survival kit to share with our friends and family member to help them remember God’s blessings during tough times. The goal is for the kids to be able to use these to help their friends and family remember God’s presence in their lives.
Here is what we put in our Survival Kits:
- toothpick – This small piece of wood reminds us of the large gift of love Jesus gave us on the cross.
- rubber band – When situations stretch us, God helps us remain flexible.
- pencil – Smile! God has already written our names in His book of life!
- eraser – God “erases” our sins and mistakes when we ask for his forgiveness.
- gum – God’s love and presence sticks with us through thick and thin.
- mint – Remember the sweetness and comfort that is found in God’s Word.
- chocolate candy kiss – God sent us the kiss of love and live through Jesus
Read these reminders to stay afloat when life gets you down!
Parents – ask your kiddos to share with you about their survival kits when you get home!!